Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Photo of Philadelphia skyline

Crib Defect Cases

There are several design defects which can typically be found in cases involving infant injury due to defective crib design. These include:

  • Corner-posts and other points of clothing entanglement
  • Spacing of slats and other openings where infant can get stuck
  • Mattress design

Included in the areas where an infant can get stuck are the distances between the slats, decorative cut-out areas in the wood work, and any other openings where an infant can pass their body or their head through and then become stuck. Some of these have caused asphyxiation and death or serious injury.

Another way that children have been harmed is by their clothing becoming caught on a catch point such as a corner-post, decorative woodwork which present's a point where clothing can become entangled, and even a "loose" corner, where a shirt could get caught. In addition, some large toys which could be placed into or on top of a crib, if they present the potential for clothing to become entangled, present such a hazard.

Anything that extends in such a way that clothing can be hung on it has the potential to cause a hanging death or injury to an infant who is able to pull himself or herself up if their clothing gets caught on the extension or if they slip or are unable to disentangle themselves. Thus, these injuries most commonly happen when children reach the age where they can pull themselves up (around 11 months of age), or where they are able to try to climb out of the crib, occurring soon before the age of two.

Older cribs present many more of these hazards than new cribs. But even some new cribs, especially those imported from other countries, present a hazard. There is an ongoing danger, especially since cribs are a piece of furniture which tend to be passed down through families or picked up at the local garage sale.

This informational piece was prepared by Silverman & Fodera. If you would like more information on this topic, call us at (800) 220-LAW1, or use the "Do I Have A Case?" link on this web site.